A web site dedicated to Tom Harrington's family containing news, gossip and tales of the unexpected. Fun for all. If everone adds a few lines of news and information - others will look at this site and it will spiral into a web log of the Harringtons! It is so easy to add comments even I can do it. Tom

What time is it there?

Tom's Training Routine

Click for Bigger version
[AD]

 
Archives
<< current













 
Here are a few more pictures - I may add some new ones of Nora when I get round to it. Tom




 
How to upload a picture

Harringtons Calendar Click Here

 
Sunday, February 29, 2004  
Ok it?s only me again ? in the back of beyond. I am in Lijiang and it is truly amazing. A 12th centuary city enclosed in a modern 20th centuary city. I have found a caf? which has internet access so I stopped to rest my legs and have a coffee and a type. I have been walking and walking since 10 am ? till now 7 pm ? with a few stops for a Chinese tea and a restful appreciation of the views
.
I do not have all your email addresses on me as I am traveling light so you bloggers will have to pass the news on verbally to anyone who is interested.

I am having a great time doing some real traveling and looking at new and wonderful sights. Living by the seat of my panes and learning from my mistakes. I should have taken the offer of a family run guest house last night at the bus station instead of trecking and getting lost looking ofr the number one traditional Naxi recommendation guest house in Phils lonely planet. When I eventually got there it was not as expected. V clean but a sparse room, cold, and the most fun of all communal showers and squatter toilets ? once I had accepted it then I had no problem ? it sounds bad but after after a world record short dump and a wonderful hot shower I felt great! And had no problem with this traditional Chinese way of doing things

I arrived last night (Saturday) from Kunming after a 10 hour bus ride which the first 4 where like being on a bucking bronco ? they bus was a reasonable modern affair but the road out of Kunming to the north was being rebuilt from an B road to a motorway of sorts. But for some reason the Chinese logic of doing road construction they have not completed a section then moved on ? they stripped the road surface of the whole length and are working on bits of it all along the route. This remnants of a road is fought over by vehicles going both ways and the uneven surface through me around in my seat and up in the air numerous times. We eventually got out of the district governed by the mad road planners on to a fine new modern duel carriage way. I was able to enjoy the views of the hills and valleys a lot more now interspersed with a bit of reading and nodding off. The views as we went through the mountains were spectacular but I also liked watching the everyday life of the locals as we passed. Farmers in the fields working on the rice paddy fields, workers in small workshops spilling on to the pavement, mad car drivers, hoards of bicyclists, a small number of animals - all loners stood tied up or penned in - all interesting to see in the Chinese countryside and small medieval villages we passed though

Then we came on something like las vegas out of the desert - the modern part of Lijing all lit up ? quite amazing to see this after miles of Chinese wilderness

When I got to the old city I was really impressed even though I was tired after walking for ages. I have spent today exploring the maze like roads no wider than a pavement and have had a fantastic time just looking in wonder and admiration.

I am of on a mountain bike for the day tomorrow

Off now for some food in a veggie restaurant I found earlier

Love to all











posted by Michael on 2/29/2004 11:25:00 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
 
[AD]